[Interest] qt mac buildkey and pkg-config

Justin Karneges justin at affinix.com
Thu Aug 16 01:50:04 CEST 2012

Hi,

I noticed that the buildkey of the official Qt Mac binary package is:
  "macosx macx-cocoa g++-4 full-config"

However, when I built Qt Mac from source, I ended up with:
  "macosx macx-cocoa g++-4 no-pkg-config"

Two questions:

1) Why would the existence of pkg-config during build have anything to do with
plugin compatibility? I feel like this shouldn't affect the build key.

2) What is the proper way to satisfy the pkg-config condition needed to produce
the same buildkey as the official binary without any unintended side-effects? I'd
very much like to be able to produce code that is compatible with the binary.
The only reason I build my own Qt is for universal binary support.

What I've done for now is make a "fake" /usr/bin/pkg-config that simply exits
with a return code of 1. This seems to be enough to satisfy Qt (after running
configure, I can see the buildkey now looks the same as the official Qt binary),
hopefully without introducing any side effects (whereas a "real" pkg-config
might drag in new flags/libs).

Justin