[Interest] memory fragmentation?

Jason H scorp1us at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 16:56:36 CEST 2012

In comparing technologies (Qt vs .NET) one of the biggest architectural differences is the garbage collection model.

Qt uses the standard C++ new/free, where .NET uses a garbage collector. Interestingly the GC not only manages overall usage, but can move objects around in memory. This is the prupose fo the ^ operator in their C++/CLI - it's a memory handle that is used to reference an object instead of a pointer, because the GC can change the address.

In the entirety of my computing experience I have never seen a malloc or new fail because of memory fragmentation. Is this some low-level MS FUD?