[Interest] memory fragmentation?

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Tue Aug 21 17:36:20 CEST 2012

All:

> It can be very easily justified that many to Utf* calls are justified because
> of latency in the I/O system means it happens "for free" while reducing the
> overall latency.

In the "modern world", be a little cautious when you decide what activities can
  overlap with other activities. For example, for many of us in the Linux world
  who are using Flash-based file systems (e.g., UBIfs), there's really no such
  thing as overlapping disk I/O with other activities; all "disk" I/O to the Flash
  file system requires the CPU and will block ordinary interactive priority
  user-level activities that also need the CPU.

It's not like in the old days when you queued an I/O request to a rotating
  magnetic disk and between seek latencies and DMA data transfers, you
  could slip-in a lot of computing. Nowadays, that "disk" I/O may still require
  the CPU.

                                              Atlant