[Interest] 64-bit internal ID for QModelIndex?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 23:47:12 CEST 2012

On 21/08/12 23:55, Stephen Chu wrote:
> On 8/21/12 4:26 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

>>> Thanks for the help. But my app is currently 32-bit. :(
>>
>> Would a pointer to a qint64 work?
>
> Yes, it will. I was thinking about that but got stuck trying to figuring
> out how I can manage the memory since QModelIndedx does not own the
> object/memory pointed by the void*
>
> Say I allocate a QList<int64_t> and create indices with internal pointer
> pointing to elements in the list. When I need to update the model from
> external data, I will have to re-allocate the list and the existing
> pointers will be left dangling. What is the proper steps to update the
> model data in this case?

Note that I didn't work with QAbstractItemModel before, so perhaps I'm
not the most suitable person here to give advice.  With that being said,
you might be able to allocate like this:

   createIndex(row, column, new qint64(value));

Access the value with:

   *(qint64*)internalPointer();

And when you don't need the QModelIndex anymore, you deallocate like this:

   delete (qint64*)internalPointer();

You should probably create wrappers for those operations.  Or work out a
subclass model.

But again, I didn't work with that part of Qt before, so I might be
talking gibberish here ;-)