[Interest] memory fragmentation?

Constantin Makshin cmakshin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 02:37:42 CEST 2012

I doubt that implementing moveable private objects/pointers would be
[really] useful.

Firstly, Qt can't control the location of the memory block allocated
by new/malloc, so the assumption that some [random] reallocations will
improve the contiguity of allocated memory looks quite naive.

Secondly, d-ptr allocation is (in most cases) the first operation
performed by an object constructor, so there's some (not too little, I
think) chance the private object will be placed directly after its
"public" buddy. In this case, destruction of both objects won't create
any excess "holes" in allocated/free memory.

And, at last but not at least, moving private objects around would
unnecessarily complicate Qt's internals (reallocation itself, code for
deciding when and where the d-ptr should be moved, etc.) and,
probably, make it less predictable in terms of performance
(reallocating d-ptr without reallocating "sub-pointers" makes little
sense IMHO, and moving all that stuff around can be expensive).

Yes, the idea is interesting, but crazy. :)