[Interest] memory fragmentation?

Adriano Rezende adriano.1.rezende at nokia.com
Thu Aug 23 16:06:35 CEST 2012

On 08/22/2012 07:27 PM, ext Jason H wrote:
> C++ on .NET functions as it does now, however the compiler introduces
> the operator of ^ as a type modifier like * (pointer)
> ^ are handles to managed objects, as * are addresses of objects. The
> runtime then handles dereferencing the handles for you. jsut like your
> compiler uses the appropriate instructions with a pointer.
>
> Now, here's my crazy idea. If we have small objects - say Qt's
> interface classes, and large objects, say Qt's private classes, then
> could we do some d-ptr trickery where Qt can reallocate and copy/move
> the memory around and reassign a d-ptr? We can't get all the coolness
> of .NET's GC, but we can come close, at least for "large" objects
> (objects using d-ptrs). We've already talked about the GUI, but what
> is more interesting to me is a QObject hierarchy (not necessarily
> QWidgets) in that you could say for this large, old tree of objects,
> do something that would result in "better" (more contiguous) memory
> allocations.

I'm wondering if you are really trying to solve a problem or you just
want to .NETify Qt for the fun of it.
Many developers want to have full control on how and when their memory
allocations/deallocations occurs. If you start to consider adding a GC
into Qt, I think it's time to choose another technology.
As I said, if you are really facing fragmentation or performance
problem, you can handle them in an ad hoc manner, according to your
constraints.

Br,
Adriano