[Interest] Slow compiling on Mac

Bo Elmgreen bo.elmgreen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:47:19 CEST 2012

Hi all,

We are developing a desktop application, that we target for several
platforms, including MacOS. Previously, we have been building our
application for MacOS using Xcode, but I would like to switch to QtCreator.
The switch to the new IDE was relatively painless, but I have noticed that
compiling in QtCreator is significantly slower. Instead of finishing in 8
minutes in Xcode, it now takes 14 minutes to build the application in
QtCreator. I have used Qt 4.7.4 with a x86 32 bit tool chain (gcc in
QtCreator and clang in Xcode) for the comparison.

Is this a general problem, that we have to live with, or are there tricks
we can use to speed up the compiling?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Bo