[Interest] Slow compiling on Mac

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 12:37:10 CEST 2012

Am 30.08.2012 um 11:47 schrieb Bo Elmgreen <bo.elmgreen at gmail.com>:

> ...(gcc in QtCreator and clang in Xcode)

Here you go, you answered your own question! :)

You were not comparing Qt Creator vs Xcode, but rather gcc vs clang!

> ... are there tricks we can use to speed up the compiling?

Usually the environment variable QMAKESPEC tells 'qmake' how to generate the Makefiles (for what compiler).

I think the equivalent settings you'll find in the "Project" tab (left toolbar) in Qt Creator (they get saved in a per user YourProject.pro.user file), so you don't have to mess around with environment variables yourself.

And as to have a really fair comparison make sure that you are using the same compiler switches (you can set/override the QMAKESPEC default ones in your *.pro file, if desired - refer to the qmake docu).

At least make sure you are comparing the same debug/release configuration - just saying ;)

Cheers,
  Oliver

P.S. Chances are that Qt Creator might not find the necessary Clang executables in the PATH after you have changed the QMAKESPEC (rerun qmake btw!). This is because since Xcode 4 appeared in the Mac App Store it keeps everything in its own package bundle, instead of installing compilers into the "usual" places such as /usr/bin etc.

So you could either point your PATH env variable to the appropriate places in /Applications/Xcode/... or (much easier) launch Xcode and figure out where to download the "Command Line Tools" (or similar) which downloads a nice Installer package.

(Note that Apple is circumventing their own Mac App Store rules here but psssst! We won't complain here, will we? ;))

That means you end up with two copies  of clang on your system, but such is life...