[Interest] QML Video with Phonon

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 15:36:39 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Robert Voinea <rvoinea at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list
>

> I have tried to create a QML Item for video playback using phonon. For that
> I am creating a video widget and display it in a QDeclarativeItem via a
> QGraphicsProxyWidget.
>

> This is the tutorial I have used for inspiration
>
> http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/09/phonon-video-player-qml/
>

> Everything works OK if the video is local or if the network path to the
> video source is OK (eg: reachable and not too slow).
>

> If the network path is NOT ok (eg: video source is not available or network
> is slow) then the GUI freezes until the video is available... or a timeout
> is reached. This is unacceptable for my project.
>

> I have been using for testing a local file AND a network webcam via RTSP
> protocol. Phonon backend vlc.
>

> In the phonon documenation it is said that:
>
> "Note also that most of the functions in this class are asynchronous. For
> instance, a media source may not play immediately after you call the play()
> function."
>

> Do you have some hints on how to make the GUI not to freeze if the media
> cannot be reached?... or while the media is loading?...
>

> (As a backup I could be using QX11Embed and vlc... although I could not find
> the wid command line parameter for vlc...)
>

> Thank you in advance! :)
>
> --
>
> Robert Voinea
>
> Software Engineer
>
> +4 0740 467 262
>

> Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.
>
> (Elbert Hubbard)

I don't know if this "advice" is recommended, but going to give it anyway :)

You could simply put all media handling in a thread and send the
updated images through signals/slots. That will keep your GUI
responsive, but will give you some pain to get it working. Someone
else might know a better solution..?