[Interest] Qt5 minimal build requirements?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Dec 20 17:06:14 CET 2012

On quinta-feira, 20 de dezembro de 2012 14.41.58, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> 20.12.2012, 14:13, "Mark" <markg85 at gmail.com>:
> > On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru>
wrote:

> >>  Minimal is gcc 4.2, though any compliant C++98 compiler should work.

> >>  Should not matter for Qt, limited only by compiler requirements.

> >>  http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtdoc/platform-notes.html
> >>  http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtdoc/requirements-x11.html
> >>
> >>  --
> >>  Regards,
> >>  Konstantin
> >
> > I thought GCC 4.6 was the minimal requirement..?
>
> AFAIU, it's required for C++11 support.

It's actually neither.

The minimum GCC is 4.4 on all platforms except on Mac.

On Mac, the latest GCC available is 4.2 and we support it a little, but I
REALLY recommend you upgrade to Clang. GCC 4.2 is broken and is producing bad
code. For example, with that version, Qt will compile the extra draw helpers
but will never enable them. You'll be carrying dead code.

Qt has no kernel minimum requirements for Linux, but we do have for Mac: 5.0
runs on Mac OS X 10.6, 7 and 8, and you can compile Qt and Qt applications
only on 10.7 and 8.

Qt has a requirement for a compliant C++98 compiler now. STL is mandatory.
Fortunately, GCC has been compliant since time immemorial. This requirement
affects directly only the Sun compiler out-of-the-box, but it's easy to change
to stlport there.

In general, my recommendation is that you use a toolchain, kernel and
middleware releases from the past 2 years, at most 3. If you're looking at Qt
5.0 right now, you're probably thinking at a release of your software in 2013
or 2014. Why would you base on components from 2007?