[Interest] QML QtQuick 2 (Qt5) font looks very blurry!

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 22:40:10 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> On quinta-feira, 20 de dezembro de 2012 22.15.13, Mark wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm just running the default examples, but the font looks.. Way too
>> blurry to me! How is that possible and how can i fix that? Or is it a
>> bug?
>>
>> A screenshot: http://ompldr.org/vZ3JyaQ/qtquick2_blurry_font.png
>> The example: "QML Examples - Text"
>>
>> But i see this in every single place that uses text in QML.
>
> In QML in general? Or just with Qt Quick 2? Does the same happen in Qt Quick
> 1? How about non-QML examples?
>
> There are some outstanding issues with the font system on Qt 5. And Qt Quick
> 2's font system is entirely new.
>
> --

Hi Thiago,

This is with QML in general as provided by Qt5 by default. I haven't
done any specific "QtQuick 1" test nor is it "easy" to spot which
include is being used because the examples stuff uses some vague
define to load the QML file.. Why is it even done this odd? Just an
readable example would be better imho,

Anyway, the QtWidgets font rendering also seems to be suffering a
little though not blurry,
http://ompldr.org/vZ3Jycg/widgets_font.png

That's the "fontsampler" example.
Note the "a" character. It has no subpixel (or poor) hinting. Or
aliasing.. whichever is the default stuff for Windows 7.

Cheers,
Mark