[Interest] QML QtQuick 2 (Qt5) font looks very blurry!

Bache-Wiig Jens Jens.Bache-Wiig at digia.com
Fri Dec 21 09:54:01 CET 2012

> Hi Jens,
>
> I find the Qt decision in this area a bit strange - to put it mildly.
> Text should imho look good at it's defaults (that's called strong
> defaults). Zooming is a nice feature in QML, but remember, the
> majority of apps are probably not even going to have zooming support
> so perhaps it's wise to make "renderType: Text.NativeRendering" the
> default and let the user enable the distance field based rendering
> when they need it.

Sorry, don't misunderstand. What you are seeing is _not_ how the fonts are supposed to look. Do file a bug against it.
As far as I can tell, hinting looks incorrect in your picture. This is how it looks on mac: http://i.imgur.com/rEq9x.png
It is clearly more readable. I was suggesting the native text as a workaround.

Having said that, I was also violently opposing this change when it first came up. But after having seen some of the benefits of distance field when it comes to animating and perhaps more importantly sub-pixel butter-smooth list scrolling, I am mostly ok with it. Notice that even Microsoft does the exact same thing by default:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/text/archive/2009/08/24/wpf-4-0-text-stack-improvements.aspx

They added a hint for "Display optimised text" so you could revert to the old behaviour, but by default they give you scene graph optimised text rendering as we do. I have already changed all the upcoming Qt Quick desktop controls in such as Label, Button, TextArea and TextField to use the native font rendering by default so in practice the problem will be less of an issue.

> Note: the renderType property is not documented:
> http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtquick/qml-qtquick2-text.html

Indeed! Thanks for pointing that out.

Regards,
Jens