[Interest] Trouble with "release" build on Win7

Yves Bailly yves.bailly at sescoi.fr
Fri Dec 21 10:35:14 CET 2012

Hello again,

Le 21/12/2012 09:44, Yves Bailly a écrit :
>>> debug and release.
>>> Now things get weird... I build a 32bits version of Qt5, Visual 2010 Pro SP1,
>>> on a Windows 7 64bits host. The example
>>> "qtbase/exampels/gui/analogclock" starts both in release and debug flavor,
>>> bug it doesn't show the usual clock... just a grey rectangle with written
>>> "QWindow" in the middle. Same with the "rasterwindow" example.
>>
>> I can confirm this. Can you create a bug report for it?
>
> I will try... ;-) https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-28778
>
>> However, I couldn't reproduce your 64 bit issues. I've been building with 16.00.40219.01 for
>> x64 , configure was "configure -prefix %CD%\qtbase -opensource -confirm-license -nomake tests".
>> The examples show exactly the same behavior as on 32 bit.
>
> I have exactly the same compiler version, so maybe the difference is in the "configure" command.
> - I used the "-mp" switch, will try without it.
> - Maybe the "-ltcg" is the source of the problem, will try without it.

The build is still ongoing (WebKit is really a big beast!), however I could start some basic
GUI examples, compiled as release with Visual C++ 2010 Pro SP1 for x64. The "analogclock"
bug talked about earlier (https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-28778) is also present,
but at least the examples starts, whereas they were not even showing anything in my previous build.

The "configure" is:
-confirm-license -opensource -release -c++11 -shared -accessibility -qt-sql-sqlite -plugin-sql-psql
-opengl desktop -qt-zlib -qt-pcre -icu -qt-libpng -qt-libjpeg -qt-freetype -no-angle -no-incredibuild-xge
-openssl -no-qml-debug -nomake tests -nomake examples -nomake demos ...and some -I -L...

The differences with my previous configure, which was not working at all in "release" mode, are:
- no longer use "-mp"
- no longer use "-ltcg"
- using "-release" instead of "-debug-and-release"
- added the "-nomake" to speed things a bit.

I assume the last two don't make much a difference on the result... so it seems building for x64
using Visual 2010 doesn't support "-mp" or "-ltcg" - or both.

Another side note: at the end, "configure" says to "nmake confclean" to re-configure. However
"nmake confclean" doesn't work, whereas "nmake distclean" seems to work.

I won't have time today to check if it's "-mp" or "-ltcg" which produce invalid binaries, I'll
try to isolate the "bad" one next week.

Regards,

--
      /- Yves Bailly - Software developper  -\
      \- Sescoi R&D  - http://www.sescoi.fr -/