[Interest] Non-movable Qt build

Yves Bailly yves.bailly at sescoi.fr
Wed Dec 26 16:14:10 CET 2012

Greetings all,

(cross-posting to both "devel" and "interest" as I think this may be relevent to both)

I've build a 32bits Qt5 from the big ZIP archive using Visual C++ 2010 on a Win7 64bits host.

Let's say the Qt5 sources where in D:\srcs\qt5-win32 - that's where I build the binaries.
Everything is fine, Xmas has passed, birds are singing.

Now, for whatever reason useless to discuss here, I *need* to move this build somewhere else -
say, D:\qt\qt5. The previous buikd folder (D:\srcs\qt5-win32, remember) is deleted.

Then I want to build QtCreator. QTDIR is defined to point to D:\qt\qt5.

I get tens of warning from qmake like this one:
D:/qt/qt5/qtbase/mkspecs/modules/qt_lib_core.pri:8: WARNING: Include file
D:/srcs/qt5-win32/qtbase/mkspecs/modules-inst/qt_lib_core.pri not found

Looking in the "qt_lib_core.pri" file, I see a bunch of hard-coded paths like:
QT_MODULE_BIN_BASE = D:/srcs/qt5-win32/qtbase/bin

Is there a way to tell qmake to use something else than those hard-coded paths?
I tried adjusting "qt.conf" in %QTDIR%\qtbase\bin without success. Finally I
search/replaced the "wrong" substrings in all the qt_*.pri files and it seems it
works, but that's really a burden.

If it's not possible to override those hardcoded paths, then that's simply insane. It
makes impossible to move the build around, to copy it on another machine an so on.

Why not use relative paths, e.g.
QT_MODULE_BIN_BASE = ../../qtbase/bin
...or some variable, e.g.
QT_MODULE_BIN_BASE = ${QTDIR}/qtbase/bin

??

Any hint greatly appreciated.

--
      /- Yves Bailly - Software developper  -\
      \- Sescoi R&D  - http://www.sescoi.fr -/