[Interest] QFileSystemWatcher malfunctioning

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Feb 3 00:53:37 CET 2012

On 02.02.12 15:23:53, Scott Aron Bloom wrote:
> QFileSystemWatcher DOES operate in a separate thread 100% certainly for
> windows, 99% for linux..
>
> Its been a while since I looked at the insides on linux.

All engines run in a separate thread and some of the engines have
multiple threads themselves again (win32 and dnotify) as far as I can
see from a quick grep.

However these threads could be delivering their signals directly
instead of delivering them through the event-queue, so there is actually
a way that the blocker really blocks signals.

But if the used backend is actually not triggered by the OS directly
when a filesystem change happens, i.e. if it takes a few ms for the OS
to notify the watcher (and thats definetly the case for the polling
backend) then signal blocking will not work.

Andreas