[Interest] Building Qt from Sources

Szalata, Zenon M. zms at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 21 06:38:28 CET 2012

I am working at a Laboratory where RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 or 6 are the only Unix OS used on desktop computers.  Presently, installing qt 4.8 from SDK package fails.  So I am trying to install from sources.  I have successfully installed qt 4.8.0 from qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.0.tar.gz.  This works.
I have configured this to install in non standard location.  The designer seems to work fine.  Examples are also working.  The only problem is that this installation does not include qtcreator.
So, I found qt-creator-2.4.1-src.tar.gz.  I can't build it because it seems to want the SDK installation, which I can't have.

Is it possible to have both qt 4.8 built from sources and qtcreator also built from sources so that they work together?  If the answer is yes, I need some guidance as to how this can be done.
Are there other source packages that might include qt 4.8 and qtcreator?

Here is my directory structure:
/opt/qt/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.0
/opt/qt/qt-4.8.0
/opt/qt/qt-creator-2.4.1-src
/opt/qt/qtc-2.4.1

I have unpacked qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.0 into the first directory.  There I executed configure -prefix /opt/qt/qt-4.8.0, followed by make and make install and this worked fine.
Then I modified PATH to include /opt/qt/qt-4.8.0/bin.
I also had to define QMAKESPEC=/opt/qt/qt-4.8.0/mkspecs/default
Finally:
Unpacked qt-creator-2.4.1-src.tar.gz in the third directory and
cd /opt/qt/qtc-2.4.1
qmake /opt/qt/qt-creator-2.4.1-src/qtcreator.pro
and this last command fails and I suspect that it needs the SDK installation of qt 4.7.4 or higher.

Thanks in advance,
Zen