[Interest] Building Qt from Sources

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Feb 21 09:27:27 CET 2012

On segunda-feira, 20 de fevereiro de 2012 21.38.28, Szalata, Zenon M. wrote:
> I am working at a Laboratory where RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 or 6 are the
> only Unix OS used on desktop computers.  Presently, installing qt 4.8 from
> SDK package fails.  So I am trying to install from sources.  I have
> successfully installed qt 4.8.0 from
> qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.0.tar.gz.  This works. I have configured
> this to install in non standard location.  The designer seems to work fine.
>  Examples are also working.  The only problem is that this installation
> does not include qtcreator. So, I found qt-creator-2.4.1-src.tar.gz.  I
> can't build it because it seems to want the SDK installation, which I can't
> have.

Why do you think it wants the SDK installation? Are you getting an error
message? I have qt-creator built here from sources and have done so for 3
years, before the SDK was invented.

> Is it possible to have both qt 4.8 built from sources and qtcreator also
> built from sources so that they work together?

Yes. That's how both Qt and Qt Creator are themselves developed :-)

> If the answer is yes, I
> need some guidance as to how this can be done. Are there other source
> packages that might include qt 4.8 and qtcreator?

There is no extra guidance because this should be quite simple. The commands
you listed below should have worked. You need to tell us why they didn't.

> Unpacked qt-creator-2.4.1-src.tar.gz in the third directory and
> cd /opt/qt/qtc-2.4.1
> qmake /opt/qt/qt-creator-2.4.1-src/qtcreator.pro
> and this last command fails and I suspect that it needs the SDK installation
> of qt 4.7.4 or higher.

Qt Creator requires a recent Qt to build. Check that you ran the qmake from
the Qt 4.8.0 that you've just compiled, not a previous, older version of Qt
that you might have in your system.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358