[Interest] #define in qml

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Feb 21 23:03:27 CET 2012

On terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 22.53.08, Harri Pasanen wrote:
> As Thiago mentioned, one way to sidestep the
> need for #ifdef is to have branch in version control
> for each version.
>
> Not all version control software is created equal in this respect though.
> Branching in git is very good, svn less so.

I'm of the opinion that if version control software is a *choice*. So if
you're using a VCS that is lacking in features and doesn't support your use-
cases, it was your own choice and you can change it.

> Personally I have branches for meego, symbian, android,
> + adsupported versions for some of them even if I'm using the
> same version of QML, just because of device differences.
>
> So if you are not using branches in version control, you are
> missing out.

Your use-case is a bit more extreme. I was suggesting using an experimental
branch for testing. It would probably be your porting branch anyway. Once
you're done porting and it works, you'd merge it and "never look back" upon
the older version, except for maintenance releases of course.

Your use-case is to keep several current branches alive, with small
differences, because you're targeting different devices on the same version of
your software. That is the kind of use-case that QML doesn't support very well
right now and I don't have a good solution for you.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358