[Interest] [OT] Re: Protection against a VLC-like enforcement: a Qt developers could send an infringement complaint about software distributed through he Apple App Store, and Apple pulling the software?

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 20:04:23 CET 2012

Am 24.02.2012 um 11:49 schrieb Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org>:

> In summary: go talk to a lawyer.

Me: "So I have this app which statically links against the LGPLed Qt lib. How do I prevent the VLC case? I can provide the object files, as I believe chapter 6b) of LGPL v2.1 requires me to make them available, including build instructions for XCode, for instance, such that the user can exchange the LGPLed underlying frameworks, but Apple forbids to distribute my private code-signing key (do I HAVE to provide the *.o files UNSIGNED anyway?), which you get only as a paying Apple Developer for 99 bucks a year - are you still with me? - but that might conflict with point 6c of said v2.1 LGPL, which imposes that I charge no more than transactional cost. What about v3 of said LGPL? And what's the role of Apple anyway, as they earn 30% as well? Am I better of with dynamic linking?"

Lawyer: "Uh... what?!"

Me: "Well, can I sell my application in the App Store?"

Lawyer: "How many patents do you own to threaten and retaliate against any attacker?"