[Interest] QtSVG deprecated

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Jan 10 14:13:57 CET 2012

This all seems very disappointing to me. How would you actually use
webkit to provide SVG support to QImage?

When I moved to Qt (from Delphi), I was delighted to discover that
QImage supported SVG, because I'd been used to having to provide icon
sets in multiple resolutions just to enable users to change toolbar
sizes. SVG icons seemed a huge step forward, just as they do when you
discover that your desktop icons on Linux are SVG and are scalable. Now
it seems that the Qt team (or community, or whatever) are not interested
in maintaining this forward-looking feature. Perhaps this is because the
person or people who developed it are no longer involved, and no-one
else wants to take it on; if so, I'd expect it to be classified as
QXmlPatterns:

Overall module state: Done
New maintainer required.

However, it seems things have gone further than this. The decision to
deprecate seems to be based on the contention that webkit can be used
instead, but frankly I don't see how, and in any case, that's an
enormous overhead to get simple functionality in QImage. If the
objection is that QtSvg supports only SvgTiny, then let it by all means
be renamed QtSvgTiny.

We're all familiar with the argument that "if you want it to be
available, write and maintain it yourself", and of course that's a valid
response to any complaint like this in an open source project. But if
someone steps up to maintain it, could we expect that its status would
be changed and the deprecation undone? Or would that person end up
maintaining a forked library outside of the main Qt project, to avoid
the eventual end of deprecation (removal)? If so, we'll end up with a
situation like that of Delphi when it was most badly managed, where core
functionality that everyone depended on (such as Unicode support or GIF
support) was written and maintained by volunteers outside the main
project, and no-one could rely on the long term health of some essential
libraries. The overall effect of this was to make the Delphi project
seem incoherent, and to force developers to retrieve and install dozens
of extra bits and pieces before they could get productive with the IDE.

So this is all by way of saying: who does one lobby, and how does one
lobby, to try to get this deprecated status changed?

Cheers,
Martin