[Interest] Compiling Qt 4.8.0 on Windows 7 with NTFS folder mounts

Christian Quast christian.quast at cquast-it.de
Wed Jan 11 23:14:08 CET 2012

Dear all,

I am trying to compile Qt 4.8.0 on Windows.
My set-up is:
- Windows 7 (64 bit) fully updated
- mingw32 provided by Qt Creator 2.4.0
- install path c:\Development\Libraries\Qt-4.8.0mingw32-src

c:\Development is actually the mount point of a second NTFS formatted hard
drive not just a folder on c:

On this set-up I could compile 4.7.4 without any problems.

Now I am trying to compile Qt 4.8.0. Again I downloaded the source tar ball
from the web site, unpacked it, and tried to run configure (same as before).

The first problem I encountered was that syncqt requires Perl which I don't
have installed. Reading the comments at
  http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/12/15/qt-4-8-0-released/
suggested that could simply delete these files as they are only(?) needed when
compiling the git sources.

Removing the files lets me run configure. When I do this, however, I get the
following messages
  features\debug_and_release.prf:1: Unknown test function: addExclusiveBuilds
multiple times.

After it was finished, I typed mingw32-make which wouldn't stop spawning sub
processes that actually didn't do anything.

Back on the internet I found a Qt bug report which seems to be related to my
problem
  QTBUG-20431
  QFileInfo::isSymLink() broken for NTFS mount point folders

  https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-20431

This bug is marked as fixed for version 4.8.0 (28.07.11) but the environment
tag states
  Environment: Windows Vista MSVC 2008

So I was wondering if the win 7 / mingw set-up slipped the tests or if I am
facing a different problem.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
  Christian