[Interest] QLIneEdit Bug still valid ?

Constantin Makshin cmakshin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 08:53:21 CEST 2012

Both textChanged() and textEdited() signals are emitted from the
QLineControl::finishChange() function which is called by
QLineControl::internalSetText(), so the order of these signals is always
the same — textEdited(), then textChanged(). However, when the validator
modifies QLineEdit's contents, there seems to be no way to tell whether
the change was caused by the user or a call to QLineEdit::setText().

So, after some thinking, I doubt one can easily make a reliable fix for
this bug.
But is it really so important/annoying? Validators are meant to check
and fix user input because users are not very reliable in terms of
input's correctness (there's relatively high chance of hitting a wrong
key/button, for example), but the program always knows (or, at least,
should know) the format of the data it expects. Considering this, IMHO
it looks a bit strange to pass an arbitrary text to setText() in the
hope the validator will fix it instead of explicitly
specifying/preparing a correct string and passing it to that method.

While it obviously is a bug, I'm not sure benefits of fixing it are
worth the efforts needed to develop a good (= reliable, without breaking
API and ABI compatibility) fix.