[Interest] Qt Binaries for Mingw 4.7

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Jul 24 13:11:40 CEST 2012

On terça-feira, 24 de julho de 2012 09.06.36, Konrad Rosenbaum wrote:
> As compared to most other compilers: keep each compile step in one process
> (pre-processor, compiler, assembler makes at least 3), read files as you
> go,  pipe them from one process to the next, reading as many bytes as you
> need for the next step, write out the results as they come along (one
> function at a time, jumping between different sections of the object file
> too).

While the preprocessor still exists as a separate executable, the
preprocessing is not a separate step anymore. You can confirm that by adding -v
to the gcc build and you'll see that it does not run cpp anymore.

In other words, the compiler will do the preprocessing step. Moreover, in
order to do optimisations, it needs to know the entire preprocessed output,
but I'd guess it does so in an AST form already.

The output from the compiler does jump between sections. But the output from
the assembler doesn't, so the assembler needs to read the entire compiler
output into memory before it can start writing out its own output.