[Interest] Creating Desktop Widgets (aka Desklets) in Qt

Jiří Procházka ojirio at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 17:35:07 CEST 2012

Hi, I am tasked in creating desktop widgets (aka desklets, stuff like
system monitors, clocks, etc) in Qt, the target platform is Windows.

So far I managed to create a frameless window which stays on bottom and
isn't shown on taskbar by following window flags:
Qt::SubWindow | Qt::FramelessWindowHint | Qt::WindowStaysOnBottomHint

However no matter what I tried, I didn't manage to keep the desklets
shown when user presses the Windows "show desktop" icon. Does anybody
know a way?

The desklet class is a subclass of QWidget, using QDesktopWidget doesn't
help the situation at all (and from docs it's clear it is for different
purpose).
I tried intercepting events which make the desklet hide, but it seems
this is a special case not handled by any event... I tried all
prospective window flags, even those more crazy in the aspect. But all
to no avail...