[Interest] QSound

David Boosalis david.boosalis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 22:31:31 CEST 2012

I was trying to implement a few sounds in my Qt Application.  I tried
QSound but found that I could only get it to work on Windows.  On Kubuntu
the wav files do play from the command line with mplayer, as do ogg files.
I then tried to use QAudioOutput which is part of the multimedia module.
This did not work on Linux as QAudioDeviceInfo::supportedCodes() returns an
empty list on Kubuntu. On Mac it almost worked but the sound came out all
garbled.  I guess you really have to understand the settings of QAudio
format (.Not sure how to get all the wav file properties)

Does there exist a sound file format that works across all platforms, And
which way is the recommended way to play simple sounds, QSound or
QMultimedia ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-David