[Interest] Can't Debug on Windows 7: Invalid parameter passed to C runtime

Josiah Bryan josiahbryan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 22:25:59 CEST 2012

I'm attempting to debug an odd problem wherein my program (http://
code.google.com/p/dviz/) crashes when displaying certain UTF-8 strings.
That's not really why I'm emailing - the problem I'd like your help with is
that I'm unable to run the program in "Debug" mode in Qt Creator on Windows
7.

I've set the project in Qt Creator to the "Debug" build and tried to run it
in the Debugger (F5). The program builds and launches - however, before the
main UI can appear, an error dialog titled "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
Library" appears giving the following error: "This application has
requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the
application's support team for more information."

Below the console output from Qt Creator. As you can guess, it *does* run
correctly in "Release" mode in Qt Creator (just crashes when the user
performs a certain UI action - hence why I want to run it in Debug mode.
Note that it does not crash on linux in gdb or in release mode - so this is
specific to Windows and the debugger in Qt Creator.)

You'll note there are comments in the console output below regarding
constructing QApplication before QPaintDevice and other references to
QApplication - well, I don't know why it's complaining about that, because
QApplication is created on the second line of code to be executed in in
main() - see
http://code.google.com/p/dviz/source/browse/trunk/src/main.cpp#36 for proof.

In short, I can't run in the Debugger to trace the crash in Release,
because the debugger crashes before the program even starts. (And the
debugger doeesn't give a stack trace to indicate where the MSVC runtime
freaks out at.)

Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this or at least track down the
problem more accurately so I can get the program to execute in the debugger?

Console output:

Debugging starts

SlideTemplateManager::loadOrCreate( 0 ): file:
"C:/Users/JosiahBryan/DVizUserTemplates.dviz"

QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different thread.

(Parent is NativeViewerPhonon(0x895c780), parent's thread is
QThread(0x7065da0), current thread is QThread(0x990a7d8)

QCoreApplication::applicationFilePath: Please instantiate the QApplication
object first

QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different thread.

(Parent is NativeViewerPhonon(0x895c780), parent's thread is
QThread(0x7065da0), current thread is QThread(0x990a7d8)

QWidget: Must construct a QApplication before a QPaintDevice

Invalid parameter passed to C runtime function.

Invalid parameter passed to C runtime function.

--
Josiah Bryan
765-215-0511
josiahbryan at gmail.com