[Interest] QTcpServer - One connection per port

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 17:55:44 CEST 2012

One problem with that design - a new connection could force an existing connection to drop in the middle of a critical step. A new connection should not necessarily force an existing connection to drop if the embedded system has a proper TCP stack that recognizes when connections go away correctly. If it does, then the loss of the connection should trigger the software to allow a new connection through, and otherwise ignore it (this is what I do in my application as I have a proper TCP stack). If it doesn't have a proper TCP stack so that TCP connections can get hung when one end goes away, then yes I would agree that it should then drop the first connection and go to a new connection - or perhaps, try to ping the first connection to see if it is still alive before doing so (probably a better solution) and deciding what to do based on the result.

Regardless of what we suggest in this scenario, he ultimately needs to look at his software architecture, OS, etc. and decide what the best solution is for him as it could impact the application protocol, design, etc.

FYI - I use a state machine in the software to track whether or not to allow a connection. The state machine is tied to the acceptance and loss of a connection. One use is nearly the same as yours; another is for controlling some tasks that only one controller client is allowed to do which lock the system from normal operation (if that client went away, it frees it up for another to take control and restart the process); though it allow multiple controller clients to connect for normal operation.

$0.02
Ben