[Interest] Is Nokia officially done with Qt?

d3fault d3faultdotxbe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 22:35:56 CEST 2012

Oh man thanks for reminding me of my strongest point in the 'fork' argument:
If we DON'T fork, then OUR contributions contributed-to/'released' by them
probably (can someone fill me in here?) won't allow the BSD Clause to ever
take effect. I think this might also be amplified by the fact that Nokia
releases the "SDK" themselves, while the Qt Project only releases the
source/library binaries (and for Qt Creator etc) individually (Is this
changing? I recall hearing Digia saying something about a Qt SDK Installer
Auto Generator or something <3). Their simple packaging/releasing could be
considered a 'significant release'.

Again, not 100% sure, but wouldn't be surprised at all if that was the
case. Anyone?

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Jason H <scorp1us at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If Nokia is not interested enough to maintain it, why would they be
> interested enough to keep it non-BSD?
> Its availability as LGPL as you point out, enable significant deployment
> of Qt without the need for it to be BSD.

I'm not sure if Nokia really has a direct reason to keep it non-BSD anymore
since they sold commercial to Digia (maybe they still get a cut though?
Digia: do you outright own Qt Commercial?)... but Microsoft will pressure
Nokia into keeping it non-BSD regardless. Should Microsoft buy Nokia, they
wouldn't want it to be BSD'd either, for obvious reasons (more permissive
license = attracts more developers = less .Net developers = less vendor
lock-in = less money in their pocket).

d3fault