[Interest] Using a parent item as a ShaderEffectSource

Bart Kelsey elbarto at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 21:43:46 CEST 2012

A while back, I asked a question on StackOverflow about how to use an
item's parent as a ShaderEffectSource:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9510013/is-there-some-way-i-can-have-a-qml-widget-affect-the-content-below-it-with-a-gls

The code in the response looked at first glance like it should work, but
the trouble is that when you use an item as a ShaderEffectSource, you also
get all of its children.  Setting "recursive" to true doesn't fix this, and
in any case the real solution here is *not* to include the current current
element (or the ones above it) in the source.  It seems to me that, rather
than *requiring* that recursive be set to true in these cases, it would be
better to get the shader effect source by rendering everything *below* it.

Is this something that would be reasonably easy to add?  It seems to me
like it would be an important feature for anyone wanting to build a UI that
has multiple child windows and uses shaders.