[Interest] Qt on Windows Phone 8

Tr3wory tr3w at freemail.hu
Fri Jun 22 12:16:22 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 8:27 AM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
<pgquiles at elpauer.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 5:34 AM,  <lorn.potter at nokia.com> wrote:
>
>>> "Windows Phone 8 offers native support for the C and C++ development languages. This will be a boon for developers. Microsoft also plans to offer a wide range of APIs that work between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, which is possible thanks to the shared core." http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/240002414
>>>
>>> Qt? :-)
>>
>> >From what I understand, until someone ports from Win32 to WinRT, or adds a WinRT platform, I doubt Qt will run very well on Windows Phone 8.
>
> (I said it a couple of days ago but apparently it went unnoticed)
>
> According to Herb Sutter, everything you can do with WinRT, you do in
> pure C++ using WTL. In fact, WinRT is implemented in terms of WTL.

You mean WRL (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh438466(v=vs.110) )...

No, and yes:
No, because normally you use C++/CX
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B/CX) when you use WinRT, which is
not the same as the good old managed C++/CLI, it's normal native C++
code with some compiler extensions what makes dealing with WinRT much
easier.
And yes, you can avoid C++/CX and you can use WRL. As I can see it's
ugly as hell so I really hope somebody will port Qt and we don't need
to deal with it ever again... :)

And yes it needs a lot of work, but I don't think it's much different
than porting to Symbian or Win CE.
Which means we probably won't see it except if Nokia wants it...

tr3w