[Interest] Fonts not rendering!

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Wed Jun 27 21:03:36 CEST 2012

Lata:

Desktop > grep -i 'q[sp]f' QScrollLabelLog.txt
stat64("/tmp/qtembedded-0//fonts/dejavu_sans_12_75.qsf", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=17284, ...}) = 0
stat64("/tmp/qtembedded-0//fonts/dejavu_sans_12_50.qsf", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=18600, ...}) = 0
unlink("/tmp/qtembedded-0//fonts/dejavu_sans_12_50.qsf") = 0
unlink("/tmp/qtembedded-0//fonts/dejavu_sans_12_75.qsf") = 0

access("/tmp/qtembedded-0//fonts/dejavu_sans_12_50.qsf", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open(  "/tmp/qtembedded-0//fonts/dejavu_sans_12_50.qsf", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_LARGEFILE, 0644) = 13
write( 13, "QPF2\0\0\0\0\2\0\0\324\0\0\0\vDejaVu Sans\0\1\0H/"..., 16596) = 16596

access("/tmp/qtembedded-0//fonts/dejavu_sans_12_75.qsf", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open(  "/tmp/qtembedded-0//fonts/dejavu_sans_12_75.qsf", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_LARGEFILE, 0644) = 14
write( 14, "QPF2\0\0\0\0\2\0\0\330\0\0\0\vDejaVu Sans\0\1\0M/"..., 16588) = 16588

  In general, this looks like the right stuff is going on. It indicates
  that Qt has opened the temporary cache file (.qsf in this case)
  for the Déjà vu sans-serif font in the 12 point size for both
  the regular ('50') and bold ('75') weights.

  It wrote quite a bit of data to each file so probably all the
  correct header stuff and *MAYBE* the rendering of the
  first few glyphs.

  I'm not sure where you should go next, but maybe it's time
  to consider whether things like text color and transparency are
  correct (so that you'd actually be able to see the text drawn on
  the buttons).

  It *IS* possible, by the way, to decode what's in one of these
  .QPF/.qsf files. I have a Perl script that does this but I'm afraid my
  management wouldn't agree to share it, but I know you could do the
  same reverse-engineering that I did. Try dumping the file with a variety
  of printout widths and you should eventually see the bitmaps of your
  rendered characters

  Note that the character bitmaps are stored in the .QPF/.qsf file only
  once and in the exact same order as they were first used by you, so
  if your button contained the text "Hello, world from Atlant!", the
  glyphs in the file would be in the following order:

    Helo,wrdfmAtlan!

  In the file, the glyphs vary in width depending on the font metrics
  but they are always an even (or even multiple of 4?) in width.

                                              Atlant