[Interest] QMdiWindow issues under Unity

Rui Maciel rui.maciel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 02:48:32 CET 2012

I've developed a small application whose UI basically consists of a
QMainWindow with a QMdiArea, which includes a set of QMdiSubWindow
widgets.  A couple of QMdiSubWindow also include QMainWindow objects of
their own, in order to provide a QMenu that's specific for each MDI
subwindow type.

This has worked well, and I never noticed any problem.  Yet, after
testing the application under Ubuntu 11.10, and running it on Unity,
I've noticed that there is a serious problem with the way the
application's menu is presented.  More precisely, the only menu bar
which is made available is the one which is created by a MDI window with
a QMainWindow menu, while the application's menu is nowhere to be seen.

Adding to this problem, the MDI window's menu bar is configured to be
hidden from site, but that doesn't appear to work under Unity.

So, has anyone experienced anything like this?  Is this some problem
plaguing Unity or is my application doing something that it really
shouldn't be doing?

Rui Maciel