[Interest] considerations for developing handset applications

Constantin Makshin cmakshin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 15:18:06 CET 2012

My advice is to put child widgets into a QScrollArea as handset screens are
not only smaller than their desktop counterparts, but resolutions tend to
vary a lot. Consider this and the fact that widgets on mobile devices are
usually large to be more usable without any special devices like stylus,
and it becomes clear that you can easily run out of available screen space.
QScrollArea solves that problem by allowing the user to scroll the window
to find the required widget. Of course, this advice applies primarily to
configuration dialogs or other similar windows with relatively large amount
of widgets.

Another suggestion is to put not-so-often-used features into secondary
windows because low screen resolution doesn't allow creating extensive
menus and limited input capabilities (e.g. lack of physical keyboard on
most devices) make keyboard shortcuts inconvenient or completely useless.