[Interest] Qt is good because...

Quim Gil quim.gil at nokia.com
Tue Mar 27 00:09:50 CEST 2012

Thank you for the fast edits and replies, here and at
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-is-Good &
http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/15808/

Some questions to dig deeper. Note that these arguments should be
convincing for developers currently familiar with other platforms
(mainly mobile, if you ask me) and considering to get started with Qt.

On 03/26/2012 02:58 PM, ext Rui Maciel wrote:
> To me, Qt's main selling points are:
>
> - FLOSS

Summarized at "Open development = better planning" - anything else?

> - C++

Please help explaining this further (as I'm not a C++ developer myself).
Also we need to explain this next to QML, Javascript and HTML5 -
otherwise we risk keeping the perception that Qt is C++ only and scaring
away many mobile developers more familiar HTML / CSS / Javascript that
would fit perfectly in the context of Qt Quick & Qt WebKit.

> - signals&  slots (aka observer pattern)

Help explaining the beauty of this functionality compared to other
toolkits is appreciated. Again, how to explain how great this is to a
newcomer?

> - cross-platform GUI toolkit

This one is now addressed at "Cross platform = multiple targets & user
sectors"

> It also helps that Qt's default widget styles are easy on the eyes.

"Good quality, easy to read code"?

--
Quim