[Interest] Qt is good because...

Tim O'Callaghan tocallaghan at meyn.net
Tue Mar 27 13:49:59 CEST 2012

On 03/26/2012 11:24 PM, Quim Gil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-is-Good
>
> Please help creating a list of points explaining why Qt is good compared
> to other alternatives for application developers.
>
> Let’s focus on specifics: contrastable proof points and experiences from
> developers working in different platforms are greatly appreciated.
>
> You can reply here or edit directly the wiki. In any keep I'll do my
> best keeping all the relevant information in the wiki page.
>
> Thank you!

It has an almost unique advantage over everything else because it give
more bang for your buck. If you invest in learning QT then you can
develop QT applications for almost every computing platform and for
almost every level in the stack. I can use it to develop embedded
applications, GUI desktop applications, database applications,
networking and server applications for every operating system. Its very
much a write once run anywhere, but without the Java.

I'm fond of saying about Java "when all you have is a hammer, everything
starts to look like a nail", because I have seen personally seen Java
being used where it is not appropriate (I.e. hammering in screws). But
Qt is more of a tool-kit or a "Swiss army knife". It abstracts away
platform dependencies. It already has libraries that address large
portions of the 'grunt' work of your application, so you can focus on
adding the essentials. It is decoupled enough to allow you to slice out
features you do not want, and makes very few demands on how you go about
structuring your application to solve your problem.

I'm not claiming QT does not have its faults, not by any means, but the
benefits, in my opinion, outweigh the time cost of the learning curve(s)
required.

Regards,

Tim.