[Interest] Does it really worth it?

David Ching dc at dcsoft.com
Wed Mar 28 02:08:00 CEST 2012

> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:58:32 +0000
> From: STEFANI Mathieu <Mathieu.STEFANI at supinfo.com>
>Concerning chart libraries and Qt, Qwt has already been mentioned but I
would like to
> mention KDChart (http://www.kdab.com/kdab-products/kd-chart/) as well,
which is,
> to my mind, a better alternative than Qwt, since it's taking advantage of
Model/View
> architecture and is really convenient to use, with a nice API.
>
> I'm using it on a personal project and I can say it's working very well.

I would welcome a robust ecosystem of Qt UI libraries such as charting,
docking frameworks, grids, etc.  The fact that there is not one now (only a
little bit) is a source of concern for me and in general the robustness of
the Qt project.  I had thought the situation would improve under Nokia, but
it has not.  By comparison, I am looking at what is available for .NET from
vendors such as Telerik, SyncFusion, etc.

Like the OP, I would also like to standardize on a development framework for
the next three years.  I have spent over 20 years developing Windows
software using C++, so it seems highly possible to find something that will
be robust enough to last for 3 years.  But with more UI turning to web
development (Javascript, jQuery,HTML5, etc.) or mobile (a lot of disparate
tools here depending on platform), and what's left on the desktop turning to
easier to use managed languages like Java and C#, it's hard to know which to
focus on.   Certainly Qt will play a part, but, it's cross-platformness not
withstanding, it will be only a partial role.

Thanks,
David