[Interest] qt vs web-runtime

Nicola De Filippo nicola at nicoladefilippo.it
Wed May 2 19:37:05 CEST 2012

Hi,

> in the company there's Qt Vs phonegap (and other web-runtime).
> I'm obviously biased. What are the objective points in favor of Qt? I can
> not say anything about the Windows and Android we are not yet stable.

> The native binary that you compile when using Qt will give much better
performance than the VM - especially with Android 2.1 and earlier.  Given that
the web view will also be natively compiled for the user's hardware, the
performance differences may be a non-issue.  It depends a lot on what your app
does.

> However, you must expect binary compatibility problems in the future.  Intel
is looking to grab a share of the market, and remember also that MIPS got
themselves Android certified before Intel did.  There may also be edge cases of
incompatibility between the various vendors' ARM-based solutions.

> You'd have a significantly increased amount of testing to do, across the
various hardware types.  A HTML/JS based solution sidesteps that problem.

> An Android user is unlikely to know details about which CPU they have, and I
have not yet seen a clean solution for making a single apk which supports
multiple architectures...  but I haven't been looking very hard either!

> Perhaps somebody else on this list has looked into it.
>
> How much control do you have over your target platform?
> Personally, I would not recommend Qt for creating Android apps for the
general public, purely because of the testing and deployment issues.  This is
not the case for iOS; don't know about WinPhone hardware.

> If you are looking to target Android, WinPhone and iOS with a cross-platform
app, and if the app's functionality is possible with HTML/JS, I would suggest
looking at PhoneGap with jQuery Mobile.

> I should also mention that there is a port of PhoneGap to the 'Qt platform'
called 'callback-qt'.  It's a little lacking in plugins, but it does work.
This means you can have your PhoneGap app run on Windows, Linux etc - which
may help development.

> > I do not like losing...
>
> If you let your personal preference trump your objectivity, I would say you
had already lost!  What is the best solution for the person who has to use the
software you produce?

Your speech is very consistent, but it seems that qt is almost useless

               Nicola