[Interest] Building Qt for debugging - libwebcore.a File format not recognized

Carl Schumann schumann at fnal.gov
Thu May 3 17:13:40 CEST 2012

Qt Community,

My system admin built Qt 4.8.0 without any options to ./configure.
This resulted in a working Qt build but that build did not have debug
information when I stepped into Qt code.   So we built again with
./configure -no-webkit -debug.  (The -no-webkit was added because with
just -debug we got build errors in webkit.)

This resulted in the following error when Makefile.WebKit.QtWebKit tried
to build libQtWebKit.so.4.9.0:
> ../../WebCore/debug/libwebcore.a: could not read symbols: File format
> not recognized

libwebcore.a appears to be a valid archive file, but the rules for
libQtWebKit.so.4.9.0 appear to want a valid ELF file, i.e., *.so
file.    However, the Makefile.WebKit does not build a libwebcore.so.
My system admin and me are struggling with what to do about this build
problem.   Any insights please?  Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,
Carl Schumann