[Interest] QML & QDeclarativeView

Jeremy jswigart at gmail.com
Fri May 4 07:07:19 CEST 2012

Suppose you have a custom built UI, with forms and c++ and such. Within
certain panes/tabs/etc of this custom view, you want to display qml driven
content. Is it possible for the same QML data to drive the output in
multiple QDeclarativeView ?

For example:
I'm writing a combination tile map editor and scenario setup for tabletop
rpg games, sort of a virtual table sort of application. Here's the
preliminary thoughts on how I am wanting to set it up.

   - Application as a subclassed QDeclarativeView representing the scenario
   map. I subclass so that I may draw the map, grids, etc in a custom fashion.
   - All the players/monsters/items/props/etc I would like to be provided
   as QML objects, for customization of behavior and such based on what is
   applicable for the game rules, etc.
   - To narrow in one one example. Suppose QML defines a character for a
   D&D character, complete with stats, skills, etc. This object contains all
   this information.
   - There is a list box, table view, or whatever in another pane of the
   application that shows the list of players, and I would like to be able to
   click on them and bring up their character sheet.
   - I want this character sheet also to be created and managed by QML,
   presumably as part of the character QML object, since that's where all the
   data is.

How can the QML data/state be shared among different views like this? I
would prefer not to have to have all the data driven elements instantiated
inside the main map view if I don't have to. It would be far more flexible
for example to have each character sheet rendered via different QML views
on separate tab pages for example, for quick and easy access.

Thoughts?