[Interest] Console output on OS X

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Fri May 11 08:33:03 CEST 2012

Am 11.05.2012 um 01:21 schrieb Sherif Ghali <sherif.ghali.1 at gmail.com>:

> .... Also, some
> references indicate that it is necessary to run OS X's Console to see
> these diagnostic messages. I see the diagnostics in Console for
> programs that crash, but not for warning messages.

Are you sure you're not confusing the *Diagnostic Console* (a system tool to see logged system events, IIRC) with a Terminal (also known as "console" sometimes)? ;)

So what you really want to do:

1. Open a *Terminal* (Application Folder, and then something like "System Tools" subfolder - but it is really called "Terminal", and not "Console" or something - or just use CMD + Space and enter Terminal in the search)

2. Start your application from there, e.g.

  /Path/To/App/Bundle.app/Content/MacOS/yourbinary -any options here

The path inside the app bundle might be slightly different, but you get the idea. There is also a qmake option to prevent creating a bundle (but the binary only instead, if you just want to create a command line utility).

OR:

Debug your app from e.g. QtCreator and open the tab "Application Output" while debugging - there you go :)

Cheers, Oliver