[Interest] Displaying QWidgets into an OpenGL render thread

Pierre-Étienne Messier pierre.etienne.messier at gmail.com
Fri May 11 21:09:30 CEST 2012

Hello all,

I wrote a small demo application using a OpenGL render thread similar to
the solution presented in QQ (
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qq/qq06-glimpsing.html#writingmultithreadedglapplications/
http://mih.voxindeserto.de/threadedcube.html) which runs fine.

Now, I'd like to render QWidgets (QDialog for instance) on the OpenGL
scene, as presented in QQ (http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qq/qq26-openglcanvas.html).
In fact, I do not require an QGraphicsView in the app, it's just the only
solution I see right now to display QWidgets on the OpenGL viewport.

In the first threaded solution, I fully have control over the OpenGL
context. However, in the second solution, The QGraphicsView calls
automagically makeCurrent() and I wonder how can this could work with my
render thread. Can the threading improvements in QGLWidget in 4.8 solve
this issue (we are still on 4.7)?

Thank you and have a nice day!

Pierre-Étienne Messier