[Interest] Simple code to remove backgruund noise from audio sample

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Tue May 29 13:01:15 CEST 2012

Arun:

  Bo's correct - this topic isn't specific to Qt.

  However, just to get you started, I'll make several observations:

    1. The best place to do audio noise reduction is when you capture your
        original data. Use a more-directional microphone, use a secondary
        microphone that is just capturing the "background noise" and subtract
        that out from the primary microphone's signal, use wind screens
        where necessary, etc.

  2. Once you've captured your audio, of course that opportunity has
      passed. At that point, most modern noise reduction is done in the
      frequency domain rather than the time domain. The audio signal is
      often run through a Fast Fourier Transform and converted into a
      series of frequency bins. These content of these bins are then analyzed
      and modified and the signal reconstructed by running it through an
      Inverse Fourier Transform. In this process:

        a. Constant background tones can be removed by zeroing
            out their bin; that frequency will be missing in the output
            but often won't be noticed by humans as missing.

        b. Hiss can be removed by "thresholding" all bins downward
            by a certain amount or by noticing, during silent periods, which
            bins still contain signal and just thresholding down those bins.

        c. The overall amplitude of the signal can be evaluated and all
            bins can be clamped off when the signal is quiet.

  Operating in the frequency domain, this can all produce better (sort-of
  "self-interpolating") results than when you try to operate in the time domain.

  This isn't meant to be a complete list but just something to start you Googling.

                          Atlant