[Interest] Why we have to remove Qt3D in Qt5.0 release?

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Fri Nov 2 15:41:22 CET 2012

On Oct 31, 2012, at 4:34 PM, Alan Ezust <alan.ezust at gmail.com<mailto:alan.ezust at gmail.com>> wrote:

If QtWebkit requires qtlocation and qt3d, then does this mean webkit will also no longer be included with Qt5?

Qt WebKit is part of 5.0. It only used Qt Location for getting the geo position, so that one feature will be disabled in 5.0.

On the topic of Qt 3D:

It has been removed from the official 5.0 release, because we currently do not have a maintainer for it and can't guarantee maintenance and support for it. This has nothing to do with Digia, it was a decision of the Qt Project.

That doesn't mean you can't use Qt 3D together with Qt 5.0. Downloading and installing it is not difficult. But you are a bit on your own with the module right now.

Now speaking as a Digia employee: Digia is investigating how to support Qt 3D in the future, so we can turn it into a fully supported module again.

Cheers,
Lars