[Interest] QtQuick and Video

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 14:51:33 CET 2012

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Robert Voinea <rvoinea at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 05 November 2012 18:38:07 Pritam wrote:
>> On Monday 05 November 2012 05:24 PM, Robert Voinea wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Has anyone tried the QtQuick 1.0/1.1 and Video combination?
>> >
>> > I have to implement a simple interface for several video streaming sources
>> > in QML (one video "window" and several buttons that change the video
>> > source) and I don't seem to get it right.
>> >
>> > I am using ubuntu 12.10.
>> >
>> > QtMultimediaKit is installed, and phonon-backend-vlc... and
>> > phonon-backend-
>> > gstreamer. In system settings I have set vlc as the preffered phonon
>> > backend... But it get this on the console when I try to load a simple
>> > video
>> >
>> > (captured with VLC from my laptop's webcam):
>> >     (test:11708): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_object_ref: assertion `object
> !=
>> >
>> > NULL' failed
>> >
>> >     (test:11708): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_object_ref: assertion `object
> !=
>> >
>> > NULL' failed
>> >
>> >     (test:11708): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_set_state: assertion
>> >
>> > `GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed
>> > Apparently phonon ignores the vlc backend and always uses gstreamer.
>> > (any ideea how can I force phonon to use the vlc backend instead of
>> > gstreamer?)
>> > At this point I don't use streams... but a single file (OGG/Theora).
>> > This is my test file:
>> >
>> > import Qt 4.7
>> > import QtMultimediaKit 1.1
>> > Rectangle
>> > {
>> >
>> >     id: rootWindow
>> >     width: 1024
>> >     height: 768
>> >     Video
>> >     {
>> >
>> >             id: video
>> >             width: 640
>> >             height: 480
>> >             anchors
>> >             {
>> >
>> >                     centerIn: parent
>> >
>> >             }
>> >             fillMode: Video.PreserveAspectFit
>> >             source: 'test.ogv'
>> >
>> >     }
>> >
>> > }
>> >
>> > I have tried with both gstreamer and vlc backends. I don't care which one
>> > have to use as long as I can set the source as an URL...
>> >
>> > At the moment I am considering writing my own QML element that displays a
>> > video stream using (probably) the native vlc API... or something like
>> > this:
>> > http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/09/phonon-video-player-qml/.
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance! :)
>>
>> QtMultimediaKit or QtMultimedia doesnt depend on phonon. The backend for
>> them on Linux is GStreamer.
>> If you have gstreamer installed and still not able to play, test that
>> gstreamer plugins required for your media are installed.
>> To test that, you can try playing your media in Totem, it has plugin
> [...]

Actually, that is (partly) true. The QtMultimedia CLASSES depend on
phonon: http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qtmultimedia.html
But the new QtMultimedia module isn't the same as the current
QtMultimedia module. The reason for that (afaict) is that
QtMultimediaKit comes from QtMobility which doesn't exist in Qt5. So
they took components of QtMobility and put them back in Qt as modules.

I hope someone else can do a better job in explaining it..

Yeah, it's confusing. I know :)