[Interest] Qt Creator 2.6 and Qt5 newer than beta2

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Nov 16 21:13:19 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 08:41:27AM -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On sexta-feira, 16 de novembro de 2012 17.19.04, Tobias Hunger wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > The newly released Qt Creator 2.6 does not accept Qt 5 versions later
> > than beta2, since it is failing to detect the ABIs used. This is due to
> > Qt5 changing all the library names around after beta2 came out.
> >
> > I put a fix into for this into Qt Creators 2.6 branch which Eike already
> > merged into master. Please update if you want to work with Qt5 versions
> > later than beta2.
> >
> > If you do not want to build creator yourself you can always grab a
> > nightly build from builds.qt-project.org (tomorrow, the builds from
> > today do not have the patch yet;-).
>
> Does it also adapt to the lack of the "default" subdir in mkspecs?

I was under the impression that cbb4c90e1e9806f3748ca34f0a7aab7cfc0bdc02
(included in the 2.6 release) handles that.

Anyway. We are pretty much on the predicted track here. The renaming
breaks Qt applications in unexpected ways, and even those that closely
follow the development of the Qt libraries are in for nasty surprises.

I maintain that putting the convenience of a handful of Linux
distribution packagers above the convenience or even the integrity
of thousands of Qt applications is an inacceptable compromise.

It's probably (or even hopefully) too late to revert that decision,
but I really do hope this is the last renaming for Qt 5.

Andre'