[Interest] My experience porting to Qt5 (on OS X)

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 18:38:26 CEST 2012

2012/9/13 Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com>:
> Anyway, my advice is: Don't use module includes.

Yes, and we'll  leave it at that ;) I think this academic discussion
about ordering and forgetting to remove #includes went on long enough:
I do see your points and agree with you on them. However the points
you mentioned are a non-issue for me.

Anyway, back to the Mac ;) Am I the only one observing graphical
glitches on both OS X 10.6.8 (iMac mid 2008) and 10.8.1 (MacBook Pro
2010)?

For instance when in Qt Designer (on 10.6.8) and adding some widgets
to the form (notably push buttons) without layout, and then resizing
that form (dialog), I get terrible flicker (especially the push
buttons seem to flicker between normal and scaled size). Also the
elements seem to be scaled during the size change instead of just
remaining at their place. After I terminate the resize action the
widgets are repainted at their normal size, but sometimes overlap.

Other issues are with the "GL Info" helper tool ($QTDIR/bin) which
when started on 10.8.1 does not show any content (just some frame
borders, but no text) when first started up. Only when I resize (or
hide/show) the window the text is rendered. However starting the same
tool on 10.6.8 does not show the same glitch, text is rendered
instantly (in general I had the feeling that rendering is a bit more
"stable" on 10.6.8 than on 10.8.1 - off course that could be due to
the OpenGL driver - in case that is involved anyway when drawing
widgets).

In my own application I do change the background colour of some
widget, once my main window receives focus: However (again on 10.8.1)
I don't seem to be getting the initial "focus" Qt event when launching
the application (could be related to the issue with the "GL Info" tool
in $QTDIR/bin). When I resize the window however the background colour
of that widget changes as expected. Taking away focus from my main
window also seems to work (I haven't yet really tracked down that
issue, whether I really don't get the focus event, or whether there is
another issue).

I'm also seeing the "focus problem" elswhere in my application (I
think that one was already reported by someone in this thread, too): I
have a simple dialog with a QTextEdit: when I click into that text
edit as to enter text the dialog seems to "loose focus" (it's close
button is greyed out).

I know, all the above is pretty sketchy and I haven't have had the
time yet to properly track those issues down and find a reliable way
to reproduce it (however the thing with the Qt Designer is pretty easy
for me to reproduce), last but not least to open bugs for all of those
issues.

However what are other people's experience? I mean those graphical
glitches were pretty easy for me to spot (am I am really just talking
about the Qt Designer and some tools and examples I've tried now), but
from what I hear from others is that "Qt on Mac is pretty fine"?

So am I the only one seeing dead pixels? ;)

Cheers, Oliver