[Interest] Likely qmake bug: Recursion in generated Makefile while building static library

Frans Klaver fransklaver at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 11:00:36 CEST 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Mandeep Sandhu
<mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Besides the above, it can be considered bad practice to _always_ install.
>
> Why so?

People don't set an install prefix and get warnings about the install
prefix not being writable to them, which is surprising because they
didn't call make install, did they? Given the standard approach of

./configure && make && make install

Doing only make and getting a make install is surprising. However,
since I have a similar setup to yours, I understand the need for the
install. Since I use cmake I can't get all projects to use the same
build dir though, so I have to call make install on each project.

> How does Qt's build system manage this? If QtGui depends on QtCore,
> does it look for it in the shadow build dir or in the install dir?

IIRC, Qt explicitly puts the result binaries in a shared target path,
so not the shadow build path, nor an install target. This allows the
build of Qt itself. Then a final 'make install' will install binaries
and headers to the configured install prefix.