[Interest] Qt5, QtMobility API: Qt Service Framework

Charley Bay charleyb123 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 23:31:07 CEST 2012

I need cross-platform client/server inter-process communication (IPC),
and intend to use Qt5+.

It seems the blog post regarding the QtMobility API, "Qt Service
Framework" is the way to go:

  - Initial blog post:
    - http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2009/05/26/qt-service-framework/

  - Qt5 (beta) documentation:
    - http://doc.qt.digia.com/qtmobility/service-frameworks.html
    - http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/5.0/service-frameworks.html

  - discussion about SWF, IPC, QtService:
    - http://lists.qt.nokia.com/pipermail/qt5-feedback/2011-June/000567.html

This provides a high-level cross-platform interface for IPC, wrapping
named-pipes or DBus or some platform-appropriate technology.  Yay.
That's what I want.

NOTE: I see the QtMobility API is an add-on.  That's fine, but I'm
specifically interested in its use in "desktop".

QUESTION: Is the "Qt Service Framework" the intended future-direction
for high-level cross-platform IPC going-forward, and is it intended to
work for Qt5-Final?

(On Windows/Qt5-Beta1, it's not obvious to me how to get it
installed-and-working-correctly.)

My "fall-back" for now would be to use QLocalSocket/QLocalServer and
do the process-discovery work myself.  I'm just wondering if I should
expect to do that upon release of Qt5-final.

Thanks!

--charley