[Interest] Oops! Somebody's got a bad case of dependency bloat!

Christian Dähn daehn at asinteg.de
Wed Apr 10 15:07:43 CEST 2013

> I don't get it. WebKit is totally optional. What's the problem?
> Changes in WebKit from the 4.8 series? The 4.8 to 5.0 upgrade is quite
> an easy one for a *major* release.

Just read the last messages carefully: Perl is needed to compile Qt base.

And I (and othe commercial devs) MUST compile Qt with their own config.
(explaining why industrial apps must have special Qt versions would bloat this
discussion)

> > So I wait till I have enough free time to fix the messy dependency problems
> > and the many porting issues
> > (like deprecated QString::toAscii() for example) für my few million
> > codelines... maybe I've to spent more than
> > just one lunch time for it :-D
>
> QT_DISABLE_DEPRECATED_BEFORE=0

No problem - I know and tested that already. I just have > 100 _spreaded_ .pro
files
(means: there's no single root dir or root .pro file) - so this can't be done
just adding one line ;-)

Commercial apps and frameworks are often a little bit bigger, than many fancy
desktop apps ;-) One project I currently wor for has for example > 250K lines -
for one target app ;-) ...and thats just a small example - most commercial
projects
don't measure codelines in hundred thousands - they are > 1 million codelines
;-)

ciao,
Chris