[Interest] Oops! Somebody's got a bad case of dependency bloat!

Cyrus Harrison cyrush at llnl.gov
Wed Apr 10 19:28:52 CEST 2013

Hi Everyone,

Q: Is perl needed for both the headers & documentation?

If the documentation was included three times in previous source
releases, couldn't that issue be resolved or maybe the
documentationcould be omitted if it consumes too much space?

For those that don't have full reign over their computers (no package
manager access, or no admin rights, etc) these issues can be quite
frustrating. Perhaps we are the minority, but a `batteries included'
approach benefits everyone.

Are their any platform customizations applied when generating the headers?

If not, for us poor souls, it sounds like one ugly solution would be to
steal the headers from one of the binary releases, and copy them into a
source release. Not caring about disk space or network traffic issues -
that might be easier to automate than becoming a perl caretaker on
several types of platforms.

Is there / could there be a target that just generates the headers and
creates a new source release package? This would allow folks like us to
easily create our own tarball on one platform, and use it on others to
avoid the perl dependency. It won't solve everyone build predicament,
but it could help and maybe some kind soul could post tarballs for other
folks.

One last comment: Active State Perl comes with different license terms
than Qt. Probably not a deal breaker, but it does require legal
consideration. I am a huge Qt fan, I am sure the other vocal folks on
this list are as well.
The take away is: barriers like these - even if they seem quite small -
will dampen adoption.

-Cyrus